For some time now I’ve been working to improve my Platinum – Palladium printing techniques. It’s been a long road, but worth the effort, costs, and frustrations. Learning this printing process from scratch is not for the faint hearted, or those looking for quick gratification. I lost count of my dead-ends and trashed prints. But, I finally now am able to produce a predictable print that gives me the results I’ve been looking for.
I start with a Digital Negative, this part alone has a very long learning curve. I settled on prints with 50-50 Platinum-Palladium on Arches Platine. I tend to print small as I think this process lends itself to the intimacy that a small image offers. These prints are either 3.5″ square or 3″ x 4.5″.
Almost everything in my studio is DIY. I started exposing the image in the sun, but even in New Mexico, that’s too variable, so I made my own light box and contact frame. I made a sink because I could’t find a pre fabricated one that fit my needs. I made a light protective drying rack. Sure, all this was a lot of work, but I got just what I wanted.
I started printing my Digital Negatives on an Epson R2880 using Epson inks, then I switched to Jon Cone’s Piezography ink-set. The R2880 was slowing dying and making my life miserable in the process, so I got a new Epson 1430. It has 6 ink cartridges instead of 8, and has been flawless for me. I’m still using Jon’s inks with the 1430.
In this post are some scans of my images. The theme of these images is pretty obvious: It’s mostly People in their Environment, taken from my recent travels…